Department of Software and Information Systems - Overview
Informatics studies the representation, processing, and communication of information in natural and engineered systems. It has computational, cognitive and social aspects. The central notion is the transformation of information - whether by computation or communication, whether by organisms or artifacts. The department aims to open up new horizons in informatics through academic research and development. Moreover, the department focusses in producing professionals in diverse areas such as information systems, software engineering, data science, big data analytics and intelligent systems.
The department will:
- Offer internationally accredited undergraduate programmes.
- Offer postgraduate, lifelong learning & knowledge enhancement programmes which are relevant to the industry in the areas related to software engineering and informatics.
- Become a reference unit for state-of-the art in informatics.
- Engage in inter-disciplinary research and consultancy for international and national projects.
- Contribute to build innovative solutions for a smart society.
- Participate in the development of national policies related to informatics.
- Promote an innovative research culture through synergistic partnership with industry and all relevant stakeholders focusing on leading edge computing technologies.
- Generate revenue through training, consultancy and research.